Protrusion is a protrusion of the intervertebral disc beyond the spinal cord while maintaining the integrity of the annulus. This pathology is a complication of osteochondrosis and precedes the development of an intervertebral hernia.
What is protrusion?Protrusion is a pathology of the intervertebral disc, leading to the appearance of pain syndrome of varying intensity. The causes of pathology are age-related changes or injuries. As a result of these reasons, the inner fibers of the annulus are damaged, which extend beyond the disc and form a protrusion. In this case, the outer shell is not damaged and keeps the gelatinous core inside the disk. The protrusion of the ring squeezes and irritates the nerve roots. So there is a pain of non-permanent nature, which increases with the change of body position.
What are the protrusions?According to the localization of the pathology, the following types of protrusion are distinguished:
Protrusion of the cervical discs. The neck is the most mobile structure of the body. Elasticity and mobility of the neck is provided by seven cervical vertebrae and intervertebral discs. Wear disc ends protrusion.
Thoracic protrusion. Due to the presence of ribs, protrusion of the thoracic spine is quite rare. The ribs create stiffness, reduce vertebral mobility, and relieve excessive pressure on the discs. But this does not mean that the treatment of spinal protrusions is worth starting.
Protrusion of the lumbar discs. This type of pathology happens most often and leads to the appearance of pain in the lower back. This is due to the location of the center of gravity in the lower back and a large amplitude of movements.
- Central - bulging disc in the center of the spinal canal. This type of pathology is asymptomatic.
- Lateral - protrusion to the right or left of the spinal column. Such a protrusion squeezes the roots of the spinal cord and is quite rare.
- Torsolateral - bulging is located behind and to the side of the spinal column. This type of protrusion affects virtually all spinal cord structures.
- Posterior protrusion is the most severe type of disease,in which the protrusion is located behind the spinal column, squeezes the structure of the spinal cord and is manifested by intense pain, as well as dysfunctions of the pelvic organs.
Protrusion treatmentSymptomatic therapy is to use:
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - Diclofenac, Nimesil, Ortofen;
- antispasmodics and muscle relaxants - "Sirdalud", "Mydocalm";
- analgesics - "Analgin", "Butadion";
- creams, gels and ointments - "Viprosal", "Fastum-gel".
If conservative treatment has not been effective, proceed to minimally invasive surgical procedures: bone blockade, laser vaporization of the disk, hydroplasty, cold plasma nucleoplasty.
The editors of uznayvse.ru recommend that the protrusion treatment be started as early as possible in order to eliminate the protrusion in a conservative manner and avoid surgery.