How to make alignment?
Watch the video
For high-quality adjustment of camber and convergence, you need special equipment - a stand for adjustment, a laser stand, an emphasis for the brake pedal, sensors, special software for a computer, and much more. Usually with such equipment they work in specialized automotive services. It is very expensive, but setting up wheel alignment in the cabin will be expensive. Therefore, you can make alignments with their own hands.
The concepts of "collapse" and "convergence"
Wheel alignment - this is what people call vehicle wheel alignment angles, which affect the stability and controllability of the vehicle on the road, as well as the wear and tear of the wheel tires.
The camber is the angle between the vertical of the wheel and the plane of its rotation. The inclination of the wheel (upper part) to the center of the machine is considered negative, and from the center, respectively, positive.
Negative camber will be good for less tire wear on wheels.But if you want the car to have a good grip, then you need to expose a positive camber. Moreover, the front is a little more, because the front axle is more loaded.
The convergence is the angle between the direction of movement of the wheel and the plane of its rotation.
Positive and negative convergence is determined in the same way as the collapse. Positive toe allows you to control the car at high speed.
If negative convergence is established, it will mean good reaction of wheels on turns, and also the high level of wear of rubber. Negative convergence for the rear wheels makes the car prone to skidding.
The most optimal installation option is zero toe.
How to adjust the angles of the wheels do it yourself
So, consider how to make alignment at home. First of all, we will set the parameters that tell us about the need for such a procedure. This is needed if:
- You noticed that the car "wags" to the right or left;
- on the road, you hit a hole, or a car has been damaged by wheels;
- clearance changed;
- the steering wheel does not return to its original position when turning;
- abnormal tire wear is observed, i.e., tires are erased irregularly or too quickly;
- the car needs to be replaced parts of the steering or suspension and more.
The adjustment process will consist of two obvious steps - adjusting the camber and adjusting the convergence. The procedure should be carried out when the car is on a flat surface. It will require chalk, special tools (keys, telescopic type ruler) and a cord with a plumb line.
- Set the wheels of the car exactly and make chalk marks on them above and below.
- We take a plumb and apply to the labels. It is necessary that he clearlycoincided with what we have outlined.
- Measure the distance between the marks.
- It is necessary to move the car forward a little. Turn the wheels 90 degrees and repeat the measurements, using the labels. Then again at 90 degrees and make the necessary measurements.
- Remove the wheel.
- Disconnect with a wrench shock absorber strut bracket from the steering knuckle. We move the steering knuckle, according to our measurements, in the right direction and at the desired angle.
Adjustment of convergence
- Return the car to its original position.
- Chalk marks on the inside of the wheel.
- Next, set between the labels previously prepared line and set the pointer to zero.
- We give the car forward (the line will move back).
- As soon as the ruler becomes one level with the axis, we write down the indicators on the scale. It is important that the ruler does not touch the suspension parts.
- Now the most important. To adjust the convergence look, what is the distance between the front and rear steering rods. If there is more between the front ones, we extend the tie rods; if between the rear ones, we shorten them accordingly. To do this, you need to loosen the lock nut and adjust the clutch distance. The convergence is set correctly if the difference in measurements does not exceed 1 mm.
It may seem that to understand how to make a wheel alignment is not difficult, but in fact it is better to entrust the operation to specialists, no matter how much it costs.