How to run windows in safe mode?
Safe mode boot PC is a diagnostic run of the OS, which allows you to get rid of various problems. In most cases, it is used when Windows is malfunctioning when booting or not starting at all. Safe Mode provides for the application of the standard settings, as well as the minimum number of utilities necessary for the normal operation of the OS.
- Turn on the personal computer. Without waiting for the full download, press the button on the F8 keyboard. In the future, we will see a black screen with the proposed options. Select the appropriate item, press Enter. This is the simplest and most common method, providing the ability to start safe mode Windows XP.
- While in Windows, click on "Start", then on "Run." In the line that appears, type msconfig and press Enter. In the opened window, find the tab BOOT.INI. (loading). Check / SAFEBOOT (Download in protected mode).Click "OK" and restart the personal computer. These actions will enable the safe mode of Windows XP.
First you need to restart the computer. You can also select the "Restart" command in the "Start" menu. In the process of turning on, press and hold the F8 key. If the Windows icon appears on the display, repeat all actions again until you manage to start the safe mode of Windows 7.
Please note that if you are using a laptop, then you have to use the Fn + F8 shortcut.
- If your personal computer starts up, then you can start Windows 8 safe mode as follows. Move the mouse pointer to the lower left corner of the monitor, wait a couple of seconds and select "Options" and "Shutdown". Then hold down the "Shift" on the keyboard and, without releasing it, click "Restart". In the future, you need to select "Diagnostics" and "Download Options". On the next screen you will be offered the opportunity to restart the computer. The fourth line contains the “Safe Mode” item. Click "Reload." In the download settings, you can select the parameters that correspond to the keys F1 - F9.Safe mode is assigned to the fourth line, respectively, in order to start Windows in safe mode, it is enough for the user to clamp F4.
- You can enable the safe mode of Windows 7 and 8 using the “System Configuration” (the presented utility is started on the command line with the msconfig.exe command). Having launched the utility, go to the “Download” tab and tick the “Safe Mode” option in the download settings. Then click "OK". In the future, you will see an offer to restart the personal computer. Choose one of the available options - “Exit without rebooting” or “Reboot”, depending on whether you plan to restart the PC right now or after a while. The next time you start Windows, it will boot into safe mode.
For more information about entering safe mode, see How to enter safe mode.
Basic boot options
Each user has the opportunity to choose one of several available OS boot options. Let's look at them in more detail.
- Safe mode. To enable the OS, only the most important programs and drivers are used.
- Safe Mode with network driver loading.To enable the OS, some drivers and programs are used that allow working with a local network and the Internet.
- Safe Mode with command line. The OS starts in safe mode. Additionally, the Cmd.exe file is loaded.
- VGA mode. The system is turned on using the current video card driver (display resolution is 640 x 480). This option is most useful in situations where settings that are not supported by the monitor are specified (it should be noted that the Vga.sys driver is mandatory loaded in the safe mode).
- Run the last successful configuration.
- Restore directories. This option is recommended to be used exclusively on Windows domain controllers. This domain restores the directory service.
- Enable logging downloads. When you select a specific boot option in safe mode, as well as when this option is enabled, boot logging is started. To save the results, use the Ntbtlog.txt file, which can be found in the% SystemRoot% folder (the folder can be opened with win + r).
- Debug mode The operating system starts debugging mode.All information can be sent via a serial cable to other personal computers that also have a debugger. In this situation, the COM2 port is used.
- Normal OS boot. The system starts in standard mode.
- Reboot. The PC is restarted.
- Return to OS selection. On a computer that is configured to work with multiple operating systems, you return to the boot menu.