Swimming pool for infants: the benefits and harm
The water surrounds the baby for all nine months of intrauterine life and during this time becomes for him almost a native element. It is therefore not surprising that many modern parents immediately after birth tend to identify their baby in the pool for infants. The benefits and harms of early navigation are the subject of constant controversy between pediatricians and parents. Meanwhile, baby swimming has a long history.
Back in 1939, an Australian by the name of Timerman, on the advice of her doctor, began taking babies into the pool. The woman noticed that the baby from the first visit began to literally bloom in the water, and after that, and develop much faster than her peers. Soon, Mrs. Timerman wrote a book that became a teaching tool for all parents who want to do baby-swimming with their baby.
About when and how to start classes in the pool with the baby, what benefits can be from this and whether the harm is possible for the children's body, we will tell in our article.
When to start swimming in the pool?
Swimming in the pool with baby is difficult to call training. It is rather one of the ways of early development of the child, expanding his outlook, the formation of his important skills so that he can feel confident in each of the elements. Parents who have chosen this path of development for their baby often face opposition in the person of their relatives. The older generation believes that a “dirty” pool is not a place for babies, and familiarity with them should be postponed at least until the age of three. The main thing that is required of parents is not to depart from the intended goal and follow the chosen path.
Before bringing your baby to the pool, it is recommended to acquaint him with a large home bathtub full of water to the brim. This can be done from the 3rd week of a baby’s life, that is, when the umbilical wound heals completely. If parents are afraid or insecure, they can invite a specialist to the house. Otherwise, the uncertainty will be transferred to the baby, he may be afraid of water, which further will negatively affect your plans for learning to swim fast.
Classes in the pool for infants can be started from two months of age, that is, when he has already fully mastered his home bath.
Water temperature and optimal class time
An important condition for successful swimming is the selection of the optimum temperature of the water. Comfortable for infants is considered the temperature of 37 degrees. With such a value, and should begin the first acquaintance with the pool. It should not be much higher than 37 degrees, otherwise the baby will lie passively and will not want to move. At the same time, too cold water can cause discomfort in a child, and he will begin to cry.
Gradually, the water temperature is recommended to be lowered from 37 to 32 degrees, and after 3 months it is even lower. A kid who behaves actively in water is in comfortable water for him. Swimming pool for infants is enough to visit 2 times a week for 10 minutes. From 3 months the time spent in water can be increased by 15 seconds.
Starting exercises in the pool should be with the vertical immersion of the baby in the water. During bathing, it is dipped several times in water and pulled out of it. Only after the baby has mastered upright can he be taught to swim horizontally.
Swimming pool for infants is the place where you can perform a variety of exercises: on the back and on the stomach. But you should start learning swimming with the simplest of them:
- Lower the baby into the water in a horizontal position and, supporting the chin with a hand, “roll” the baby on the surface, moving forward. After a few days at some distance from the eyes of the baby, you can put a duck into the water and try to catch up with it during the exercise.
- The following exercise is performed on the back and is to bring the baby in a horizontal position to the side, from which he will push as a "frog". Such an activity will be an excellent training for future walking.
- For the development of the vestibular apparatus, it is recommended to perform the “swing” exercise in the pool, the essence of which is to shake the child in the water, supporting his head under the chin.
When performing any exercise, it is important to maintain eye contact with the baby and do not forget to pronounce all your actions.
The benefits of the pool for babies
Various studies at the same time and prove the benefit of the pool for infants, and refute this fact.
The benefits of baby swimming are as follows:
- Swimming pool for infants is an important stage of its physical development. It has been proven that babies who have been swimming since the age of two months are two times less sick, they have all the signs of muscle tone, rickets, anemia, they begin to crawl and walk earlier.
- Swimming stimulates metabolic processes in the body, strengthens the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, improves sleep and appetite.
- The gradual decrease in the temperature of the water in the pool contributes to the hardening of the child, the formation of the body's resistance to temperature extremes.
- Swimming helps to strengthen the musculoskeletal system and the formation of correct posture.
- From a psychological point of view, swimming lessons bring together a parent and a child, and establish a close emotional connection between them.
A child who swims from childhood will never experience the fear of water in adulthood and will maintain a healthy lifestyle throughout life.
Harm to baby swimming
Recent European studies prove the harm of indoor pools to the respiratory system of children.According to the confirmed information, the risk of respiratory diseases in children who, from infancy, were swimming in the pools, is several times higher than among those who did not. All the harm of the pool lies in the dangerous compounds of chlorine, which through the respiratory tract or through the mouth enter the body of the infant, accumulating in it and causing dangerous diseases.
Swimming pool for infants should be sterile, but since chlorine is dangerous for an unformed respiratory system, it is recommended to treat the room with ultraviolet and filters with quartz sand. When choosing a pool should pay attention to this.
Recommendations for safe swimming in the pool
There are a number of recommendations that you should definitely study before going to the pool with a child.
- To prevent unpleasant surprises from occurring in the pool, purchase special diapers designed for swimming in the pool in advance.
- Swim in the pool should be in a special rubber hat, which is desirable to purchase for the child if necessary.This will help to ensure maximum swimming for infants.
- The swimming pool with a baby is recommended to visit in the morning. At this time the water will be cleaner than in the evening.
Diving in the pool
Diving in the pool is a logical continuation of swimming. After successful training, parents can safely leave their grown-up child to play next to the water, without worrying about what he can drown.
All exercises should be performed consistently. The main task facing the trainer or parent is to teach the baby to hold the breath. To do this, the baby is first sprinkled with water in the face As a result of this, he holds his breath for 10 seconds. After the child has mastered the exercise, they begin to water it from top to bottom and then lower it into water for a couple of seconds. As soon as the baby learns short diving, their duration can be increased.
Pediatric diving reviews
Most pediatricians agree that swimming increases immunity and is a good prevention of childhood diseases, but only after two years of age. With regard to swimming, especially diving infants, they speak very negatively.
In their negative reviews, they emphasize that the infant pool for infants is an unfavorable environment for development, since according to statistics, holding the breath for even a few seconds can lead to infant mortality. This is due to the peculiarities of the structure of the respiratory tract of the child and lowering the level of oxygen necessary for the development of the brain. In addition, diving is stressful for a child who even for a few seconds loses the level of necessary protection.
Swimming pool for babies: reviews
Parental feedback on infant swimming is 100% positive. And moms and dads say that both the special indoor and the home pool for infants are equally useful for the child. In their responses, parents say that their children are significantly ahead of their peers in terms of physical development. Their babies began to crawl and walk much earlier (at 8, 9 months). With the help of regular exercises managed to get rid of the tone and strengthen the muscles.