Today, you rarely meet people who have a family set of pure silver in a sideboard. However, if you are such a person, you need to know how to clean silver.
In this article we will share with you the secrets of how to clean silver, as well as silverware with stones. Having learned our advice, you can easily clean off any earrings or a chain, even with precious stones.
How to clean silver at home?Silverware can darken under the influence of a variety of factors, including from improper storage. In addition, if a significant amount of sulfur is contained in the sweat of the wearer, the silver chain or ring will darken faster.
- The easiest and most effective way - cleaning silver with ammonia. You just need to buy in any pharmacy 10% ammonia and immerse in it a silver product. After 10-15 minutes you need to get silver. Usually this time is enough to completely clean the product from contamination.
Over time, silverware begins to darken
- You can also clean silver with 10% sulfuric acid solution. It is necessary to boil the silver product, and then rinse it with water and wipe with a soft cloth.
- The most convenient way for any housewife - cleaning with citric acid. To do this, it is necessary to prepare a solution at the rate of 100 grams of citric acid in 0.7 liters of water. Put the container with the solution in a water bath, and put a piece of copper wire at the bottom, bent at one end to get the product. So you can check the product in the process of boiling. Boil should be within 20-30 minutes.
- Some also recommend boiling the silverware for 5 minutes in a Coca-Cola. Judging by the reviews, this method perfectly relieves products from stains, plaque and other contaminants. Then the product must be rinsed with water and dried.
- You can also brush silver with lipstick. You need to take a toothbrush and lipstick, polish the product. After this, the product must be rinsed with water and also dried.
- Another available tool is toothpaste. Using a toothbrush, it also needs to polish a silver product, and then rinse it with warm water. However, it is worth noting that this method is best suited for not very significant contamination.
Silver can be cleaned with toothpaste
- On any desk, of course, there is an eraser, or eraser. They can easily polish such silver products as: ring, earrings, plain brooch. A chain with complex and small weaving in such a way to clean it is hardly possible. It is better to boil it in one of the solutions proposed above.
- You can purchase a special tool for cleaning silver. Perhaps this is just an advertising ploy, however, they say that such a tool not only cleans silver of high-quality impurities, but also forms a protective film.
How to clean silver with stones?If in your silver product there are stones or enamel, the question of cleaning should be approached carefully. So, ruby, sapphire, diamond and emerald are hard enough stones, so you can clean the jewelry with a mixture of tooth powder and ammonia.
Products with turquoise, amber, moonstone, malachite should be cleaned with a soft cloth in the same way, but in a soap solution.
Useful tips to keep silver cleanFor example, to keep silver spoons always clean, each time after use they should be scalded with boiling water with a small amount of soda dissolved in it. And after that, kitchen appliances made of silver can be polished with a cotton cloth moistened with soda solution or alcohol. This method will help you to avoid strong dirt on silverware.
To protect from pollution and darkening jewelry, remove them when you clean the house or make a cosmetic mask. So silver will not be exposed to chemical agents, which means it will stay clean longer.
Such simple ways to clean silverware, according to the editors of uznayvse.ru, will help you to keep them beautiful and shiny. It is also important to remember to treat them very carefully. Silver jewelery, especially those that have enamel and natural stones, should be protected from impact and contact with chemicals.