What to cook for Christmas?
Christmas is a wonderful family holiday on which it is customary to set the Christmas table. Many wonder what to cook for Christmas after the long forty-day fast that precedes this holiday.
For Catholics, Christmas is a solemn celebration that lasts eight days, and the main tradition is a family dinner. Each country has its own traditional dishes for Christmas, which are so loved by many.
Orthodox Christmas is also celebrated with a big feast with a variety of snacks served to the table. The Christmas meal is decorated with such dishes as jelly, jellied fish, meat snacks, tomatoes, cucumbers and much more. The fried bird is considered an ornament of the Orthodox table, which is served both cold and hot.
Let's look at some of the Catholic and Orthodox dishes that are prepared in different countries.
Christmas dishes from different countries
- For example, in England, Turkey is considered to be a favorite under a sauce of ripe gooseberries, and for dessert pudding, poured with rum.In many families, before serving, the pudding is set on fire and served flaming.
- In the US, turkey is also served only under the favorite cranberry sauce, and in France, turkey is cooked in white wine. In addition to the main dish, the French put oysters, cheeses, champagne and goose pate on the table.
- In Denmark, served with a duck stuffed with apples or goose, as well as rice porridge with raisins and cinnamon. Favorite rice pudding is also considered obligatory.
- The Germans are preparing a roast goose first class, be sure to serve it to the table with apples, raisins, nuts and marzipans.
- Czechs prepare very original dishes for Catholic Christmas, such as baked carp, sweet biscuits, potato salad and more. It is believed that Christmas carp scales put in a purse will bring good luck and wealth throughout the year.
- In China, where quite a few Christians live, the famous Peking duck is most often prepared for Christmas.
- Such countries as Australia and Hungary consider it unacceptable to use poultry meat on this holiday, since happiness can fly away. Austria traditionally eats noodle soup and baked carp,and the Christmas tree is decorated with gummies and chocolates.
- Italians on this holiday exclusively eat only fish and seafood, drinking champagne.
- In Belgium, boar meat, veal sausage, truffle, traditional cake and wine are served on the table.
- In Spain, this holiday is roasted suckling pig on a spit, washed down with sherry. Also required to the table are considered exotic seafood, namely, lobster, shrimp, crabs. From sweets are served: marzipan, lollipops and halva.
- In Portugal, on this day, they eat the original dish “bakalao” - made from salted cod, which is usually washed down with port.
Most Popular Recipes
Recipes for Christmas dishes are very diverse. Treating home and guests a delicious dinner is a constant tradition. Let's take a look at what is being prepared for Christmas, namely the most popular and delicious dishes.
Turkey with prunes
To prepare this dish you will need: 1 turkey, 1 cup of rice, 700 gr. prunes, sour cream - 2 tbsp, butter and vegetable oil, spices, salt, herbs to taste.
Preparation: wash my turkey and rub it with salt and spices from outside and inside.Inside we sew up the soaked prunes, and we bind the bent wings on the back. Legs also tie in front. Now the turkey must be smeared with butter and sour cream and put on a baking sheet with vegetable oil, back down. Preheat oven to 220 ° and set the turkey to bake. We forget to water the resulting juice until the meat is completely cooked. The finished dish is served hot and decorated with greens.
Goose (duck) in apples
To prepare this simple and delicious recipe, you will need: a whole goose carcass, one and a half kilograms of apples and ghee - 2 spoons.
Preparation: First you need to clean and wash the cooked goose. Also prepare the apples, cut them into small slices, pre-cleared from the core. Now it is tedious to stuff the goose with apples and sew the abdomen with thread. Next, cooked goose to put on the pan, belly to the top and pour half a glass of water. We put the roast in the preheated oven for 1.5-2 hours constantly pouring the resulting juice. Before serving, you must remove the thread and decorate with herbs and lemon.
Pork Breast with Cabbage and Apples
This recipe is very tasty and satisfying.For its preparation you need to take: pork 800-1000g, cabbage - 1 medium fork, sauerkraut, apples - 5pcs, 1 onion, 1 cup of butter, salt and pepper to taste.
Preparation: first chopped fresh cabbage and mixed with fermented, scalded boiling water. Next, finely cut the apples and mixed with cabbage. Now you need to wash the meat and cut bones in some places. The next stage is cutting a large hole with a sharp knife between the meat and the bones. Stuff pork with prepared stuffing, sew and put on a baking sheet. Next, sprinkle with onion rings, pour in some water and fry until done. On the table, the finished dish is served hot and decorated with greens. For a side dish, you can serve baked potatoes.
For this traditional festive dish you will need: butter - 250g, eggs - 6pcs, sugar - 1 st, flour - 600g, sour cream - 500g, walnuts - 100g, honey, cinnamon and soda - 1 teaspoon and 1/3 teaspoon salt .
Preparation: rub and mix the butter with sugar and add the yolks. Next, in the resulting mass, enter honey, soda and cinnamon, while mixing well until complete dissolution.Separately, whip proteins and add to the total mass. Now pour out the flour, soda and salt. The finished dough on the consistency should be like a thick cream. Lubricate the baking pan and spread the dough. Cupcakes are baked in the oven heated to 180 ° for an hour.